Call: 614-568-7297

A Guide to Common Household Toxins for Pets: Pet-Proof Your Home

Although we, as pet owners, take great care to keep our furry companions safe, everyday household objects can seriously endanger the health of our cherished pets. Naturally curious, pets can get into problems from time to time, especially if they swallow something potentially harmful. In this article, we’ll identify some of the most typical poisons that pets may encounter and provide you with information to help avoid unintentional poisonings.

Human medicines: Taking in human pharmaceuticals is one of the main ways that pets can become poisoned. Dogs, in particular, are prone to chewing on medication bottles and ingesting tablets that have fallen to the ground. Particularly dangerous drugs include blood pressure pills, antidepressants, and painkillers. Make sure your pet cannot get to your drugs, and never give them any without first talking to your veterinarian.

Toxic foods: Pets may be at risk from a number of foods that are safe for people. In addition to chocolate, other foods that might harm an animal’s health include grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, and xylitol, a sweetener used in sugar-free products. Ensure these meals are kept out of the reach of nosy eyes, and never give them to your pets.

Household cleaners: Pet-harming chemicals are frequently found in cleaning goods. These compounds can induce respiratory distress, upset stomach, and other health problems if consumed or even inhaled. Use caution whenever using these goods, and keep them in a safe place. As an alternative, think about utilizing pet-safe cleaners.

Rodenticides and insecticides: These substances are intended to kill and can be equally deadly to our animals. Severe symptoms or even death may ensue from exposure to these poisons. Exercise caution while using these items and look into pet-friendly pest control solutions.

Plants: A lot of typical garden and houseplants are hazardous to pets. Examples include azaleas, sago palms, and lilies. Do some research to make sure the plants in your garden and house are safe for your dogs. If in doubt, err on the side of caution and keep potentially hazardous plants out of your reach, or stay away from them altogether.

Antifreeze: Pets may be drawn to ethylene glycol, frequently present in antifreeze due to its sweet flavor. In cats especially, even a tiny quantity might result in sudden renal failure and death. Spills should always be cleaned immediately, and antifreeze should be kept out of pets’ reach in well-sealed containers.

Recreational drugs and alcohol: These substances can seriously harm the health of your pet. Pets may experience tremors, respiratory difficulties, central nervous system depression, coma, or possibly pass away. Make sure your dogs can’t ever obtain these drugs.

We are the ones that ensure the security and welfare of our pets. We may provide a safer environment for our furry family members by being aware of the common poisons that impact them. Taking immediate action is critical if you think your pet may have consumed something poisonous. For emergency assistance, contact us or the closest veterinary hospital. When it comes to your pets’ health, it’s always best to be safe than sorry. Remember to save the number for the Animal Poison Control Center and have the numbers of your¬†veterinarian and an emergency animal hospital on hand. Your watchfulness might prevent your pet’s death.