Call: 614-568-7297

Five Everyday Household Hazards That Could Poison Your Pet

To recognize National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25, our team would like to spread the word about some of the most frequent household items that can be hazardous for furry friends.


#1: Medications

One of the most common risks in any household with pets is medication ingestion. Food-oriented canines are especially prone to snatching up dropped pills before their owners even have a chance, or they may rummage through guests’ bags and uncover pill bottles on counters. Medication overdoses can be deadly for animals, so if you suspect your pet has ingested medicine make sure to contact an animal poison control hotline right away!

#2: Food

Keep your beloved pet away from the kitchen’s luscious allure and prevent tragedy. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough, alcohol-laced foods or drinks like beer and wine as well as grapes and raisins are some of the most common food items that can be deadly to pets if ingested. These could possibly cause kidney failure seizures and hypoglycemia in animals so it is best to lock up those counter tops with a locking trash bin!


#3: Household chemicals

Be sure to keep the following potentially hazardous chemicals far away from your pet and securely stored in a place they can’t reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Keeping pets safe should be a priority for all pet owners, and that includes being aware of which houseplants can pose a risk to their health. In particular, lilies are incredibly hazardous to cats – even contact with just the pollen has been known to prove fatal! Dieffenbachia, elephant ear plants and spider plants also present danger when consumed by animals. Even outdoor varieties such as ivy and oleander have the potential to harm your beloved companion if ingested. For peace of mind before bringing an arrangement into your home or gardening outdoors, visit ASPCA’s toxic plant list on their website for guidance in selecting only pet-safe blooms.


#5: Batteries and coins

If your pet ingests a battery or coin, they can suffer from metal poisoning – and for batteries that have been punctured by chewing, chemical burns are also possible. Even if swallowed intact, batteries may cause an intestinal blockage in pets.


If you suspect your beloved pet has been exposed to a hazardous material, don’t wait – call our team right away!